19 Aralık 2016 Pazartesi

My Christmas shift showed me the human connection behind medicine

My first medical on-call shift was on the evening of Christmas Day. Wary of what to expect, I joined my family for an early dinner with a cloud of trepidation hanging over it. The post-food cosy daze that everyone has after their traditional meal turned into the pre-work tetchy panic that every doctor has before a night shift.


I arrived at the hospital at 9pm to find remnants of Christmas cheer lingering on every ward. Boxes of half-eaten chocolates, needles starting to drop from Christmas trees, tinsel becoming unstuck and dangling from the walls, and families trickling away from the hospital after spending the day with their loved ones – it’s like you’ve arrived late at a party after everyone has left.


For the first few hours I was strangely enjoying my first medical on-call shift. It was a refreshing break from the daily grind of writing in patients’ notes what my consultant says on ward rounds and typing discharge summaries. I was reviewing and managing unwell patients, which is what I had been trained to do.


Fuelled by adrenaline, excitement, and those half-finished boxes of chocolates on the ward, I was in full flow. Please review this patient who is not producing enough urine: “urine problems – I remember the causes and treatment in a kidney lecture”. Please review this patient who’s got a temperature: “review patient, check the nursing observations, take some bloods, do I need to start some treatment straight away?”. Please review the ECG of this patient who’s developed chest pain: “reading ECGs – let’s decipher these squiggly lines step by step”.


I had just managed to clear the backlog of jobs when my bleeper barked into life: “Cardiac arrest, ward x. Cardiac arrest, ward x”. I immediately got off at the next floor and ran to the arrest call. By the time I got there, CPR had already started and my medical registrar arrived 20 seconds after I did. It was my first arrest call.


I took over doing compressions. Crack, one rib broken. Crack, another rib broken. At least I was doing good compressions. The consultant asked: “Can you get a blood gas from the patient?” Stab, the needle goes into the groin, nothing. Someone else has got it already. He continued: “Can you get the results please?” pH 6.9, lactate 11 – not good. I ran back to find the patient’s heart had successfully restarted.


At this point, a medical TV drama would cut to another scene. In reality, the patient’s heart was restarted but they were intubated and unconscious. The family later arrived and decided it would be in the patient’s best interests not to continue further care. I later certified death, feeling particularly poignant as it was Christmas, a time of celebration for a birth and new life. As I wrote the last entry in the medical notes, I saw the patient’s distraught family walk away from the ward, feeling their sadness as I signed my name and wrote the letters RIP.




With those swirling thoughts, I was no longer a doctor, but a ​person​ mourning the loss of another




Unyielding and relentless, I was bleeped again. My steps towards the next job got slower and slower as my brain swirled with thoughts of that arrest, that patient, and that family. The arrest call itself is a paradox – laid bare it is the most human act done in the most inhumane way. The act of trying to save someone’s life, of you pumping your fellow human’s heart, touches on the very essence of humanity’s common bond. The process, however, is as savage and barbaric as it is life-saving.


As part of the arrest call team, I was focused on my job of restarting the patient’s heart. That focus strips away the humanity of the patient, reducing life to lines on a screen and numbers on a chart. With each passing cycle, the focus intensifies until it changes into a mix of desperation and willpower – willing the tube to go in the lungs, the blood to flash back into the syringe, the pulse to return. And when it’s suddenly over, the humanity returns.


With those swirling thoughts, I was no longer a doctor, but a person mourning the loss of another. I stopped, turned around, sat in a quiet room and had a chat with one of the nurses who was also at the arrest call. We talked about anecdotes from the patient’s stay in hospital and our own lives. It felt refreshing to talk about the life that was lived in the face of the sadness of a life that was just lost.


Mentally and physically exhausted, I was glad to hand over the on-call bleeper at the end of my shift to the next bearer of that cross. As I walked out of the hospital, I reflected on every job I’d had during the night, still wondering how the family of the patient who died was coping and what the diagnosis would be of one patient I asked my registrar to review.


Nights are said to be one of the best learning experiences. At the end of my set of nights, I was comforted not only by the wealth of skills and knowledge I could take into the new year, but by the care I had given to my patients to make their Christmases that little bit better.


Everyone takes something different away from their medical on-call experience. I will always remember that behind every patient and medical diagnosis there lies a human connection that binds us all together.


Join the Healthcare Professionals Network to read more about issues like this. And follow us on Twitter (@GdnHealthcare) to keep up with the latest healthcare news and views.



My Christmas shift showed me the human connection behind medicine

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder