2 Nisan 2014 Çarşamba

I was diagnosed with autism as an grownup it truly is not just youngsters who are impacted

Singer Johnny Dean performs with Britpop band Menswe@r at the Reading Festival in 1995

Singer Johnny Dean performs with Britpop band Menswe@r at the Reading through Festival in 1995. Photograph: Mick Hutson/Redferns




In 2009, MP Cheryl Gillan put forward a bill in parliament. The notion behind it was to guarantee far more help was available for grownups with autistic circumstances. Up to this stage, young children and their families have been becoming offered aid, but youngsters increase up. Even autistic kids. What then?


That exact same 12 months the Autism Act grew to become a reality, and I was diagnosed as being on the autistic spectrum. I was 38 years outdated. As a youngster of the 70s, autism was practically unheard of. Any withdrawn or “tough” behaviour on my part was normally observed as naughtiness. My lack of people expertise was place down to me becoming antisocial, imply, or aloof.


There need to be a multitude of grownups out there who have some type of autism but remain undiagnosed. Confused, isolated and quite usually suicidal. I know, because for significantly of my lifestyle that is how I felt.


Considering that the mid-90s, awareness of autistic circumstances this kind of as Asperger’s syndrome, higher-working autism and pervasive developmental disorder has grown, but not almost sufficient to say they are totally understood. It has been disturbing for me, considering that getting diagnosed, to uncover how minor men and women know.


Grownups seeking diagnosis are typically faced with a struggle. Not currently being taken critically looks to be a widespread occurrence. I knowledgeable a lot more than just a couple of quizzical appears and furrowed brows when I asked to be assessed. Many people basically give up at this stage. I was even asked outright, by a advisor psychologist, why I was searching for diagnosis when I was an grownup. Apparently, this happens a great deal.


It did not support that significantly of the assessment approach seemed developed specifically for youngsters. This became even a lot more exasperating when my mother’s faded recollections of my childhood were purchased into the combine, producing a very confused picture. The staff assessing me had been concentrating solely on my childhood, the really distant past, rather than me in the right here and now. Surely there is a greater way to accommodate grownups?


It took well above a yr to get diagnosed, partly because only one particular location in the southeast had the facilities to do it. But I am glad I persevered. It means that my GP is aware of my issue. It meant I was capable to get cognitive behavioural therapy to cope with the problems I encounter each and every day. It has enabled me to recognize who I am. But much more than anything, diagnosis was a enormous relief.


As far as help goes, the place I live in south London, factors are much better in contrast with 5 many years in the past when I was first diagnosed. But at the same time I have never been contacted or approached by any of the companies in my location – I had to make myself recognized. This can be a difficulty when it comes to individuals with autism. If you depart it to us, it might not come about.


Since 2009, most neighborhood authorities have set up schemes for adults in search of a formal diagnosis. Which is fine, but then what? Will a freshly diagnosed grownup get the support they want? And what about autistic young children who have grown up? Has the Autism Act completed anything to boost these people’s lives?


Here are some depressing statistics. Of all adults with autism, 70% really feel they are not acquiring the aid they need 36% explained they need support to wash and dress, but only 7% get this help from social companies and 53% say they want support to discover work, but only ten% get the support to do so.


Last 12 months the National Autistic Society started a campaign, Push for Action, to improve support for adults with autism. In October, I joined other campaigners in delivering a petition to ten Downing Street demanding a lot more action from the government, including money for new solutions, much better education for employees this kind of as GPs and care assessors, and more to be carried out to increase public awareness of autism.


Factors are gradually acquiring better, particularly with regard to awareness, but sound help is even now lacking. I hope that the government’s revised autism strategy, which will be published these days – Globe Autism Awareness Day – will tackle this and really boost the lives of adults with autistic conditions as effectively as individuals of their households.


In this day and age, I dislike to believe that anyone else would have to go through the time-consuming and frustrating procedure that I knowledgeable. Autism is a actual and severe issue, and adults have it too.




I was diagnosed with autism as an grownup it truly is not just youngsters who are impacted

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder