28 Nisan 2014 Pazartesi

Billy Connolly: the day I learnt I had cancer and Parkinson"s ailment

“I keep in mind I went by means of to the bedroom to reply the phone, and Pamela was behind me – I imagined she was going to catch me. And she kind of held me, and I went, ‘Oh, Jesus…’


“But when we went into the residing space I went, phrrhrht,” he said, blowing a raspberry. “I feel they are very closely connected, deep despair and laughing. And I wasn’t in any pain.”


Connolly underwent surgical treatment to take away his prostate and has been given the all-clear, with no chemotherapy or radiotherapy needed.


“Reports of my demise have been tremendously exaggerated,” he quips in a new ITV programme, Billy Connolly’s Big Send Off, in which he addresses the topic of mortality. The notion for the series came up lengthy just before he was diagnosed with either problem and the subject matter is a coincidence.


Connolly recalled: “The Parkinson’s was unusual simply because it was a man in a hotel who spotted it and he said, ‘Excuse me, Billy, I’m a massive fan and I don’t want to depress you or anything but I’m a surgeon from Tasmania and I think your gait would recommend that you have early onset Parkinson’s disease. See your medical doctor.’ And he was proper.”


Parkinson’s ailment is an incurable degenerative disorder but Connolly mentioned he refused to be pessimistic about the future.


He stopped taking the medicines at first prescribed due to the fact they made his issue seem worse by providing him an “expressionless” encounter typical of Parkinson’s.


Signs of the illness contain tremors, which Connolly is going through in his left hand, and memory difficulties.


The comedian is enhancing his memory by performing crosswords. In an interview with Radio Times accompanying the programme, he explained: “I’ve put myself on a strict regime of crossword books. They remind me of every thing.


“I have to train my memory. I’ve got a notebook with all the phrases I have a tendency to neglect. It’s the identical ones cropping up yet again and once again.”


Nevertheless Connolly angrily insisted that a considerably-reported incident early last year, in which he forgot his lines in the course of a gig in Belfast, had absolutely nothing to do with his issue.


“I’ve lost my train of imagined all my job. It’s what helps make me various from everyone else,” he said.


Generating the programme led Connolly to consider about his own funeral, which he wishes to be a lower-essential affair. He stated: “I’ve stated a lot of items about my very own funeral, but it’s all bull—-. Horses and Vikings and burning ships and all that.


“Actually, I’d like to think we could have the coffin in a hearse, empty. And the genuine me being buried someplace by pals, quietly, with a tree on leading of me.”


In the interview, Connolly also addressed the topic of Scottish independence, saying: “You have to don’t forget that the Union saved Scotland. Scotland was bankrupt and the English opened us up to their American and Canadian markets, from which we just flowered.


“And I dislike patriots. I’m deeply suspicious of patriotism. It’s paved with fools.”



Billy Connolly: the day I learnt I had cancer and Parkinson"s ailment

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder