27 Şubat 2014 Perşembe

Steve Jobs Rejected The Initial Health care App In 1977




There’s been a good deal of speculation that long term Apple Apple merchandise will consist of wellness-associated apps and biometric sensors. Here’s the story of what might have been the initial Apple health care app, except for the truth that in 1977 Steve Jobs had absolutely no interest in going in that route.


George Diamond is now retired right after a lengthy and extremely distinguished career as a cardiologist at Cedars-Sinai Health-related Center in Los Angeles. But in 1977 he was just commencing his job at Cedars, where he was functioning on cutting-edge devices and statistical techniques to enhance the diagnosis of heart disease (a major issue that even nowadays is far from becoming solved).


Diamond’s operate concerned one particular of the 1st attempts to use Bayes’ theorem– a sophisticated and complex instrument for analyzing probability– and it involved a lot of computation. In 1977 there weren’t a lot of selections. Here’s his (lightly edited) story:


“I purchased 1 of the really initial programmable hand calculators– the TI 59. It had magnetic cards that stored 1k of memory, and I was capable to compose a plan that utilised Bayes’ theorem to determine the probability of ailment based on the test outcomes. It worked wonderfully, except that  I instantly exhausted the 1k of memory due to the fact there was so a lot information.


“Just about that time the Apple II was introduced. There was a personal computer keep in Santa Monica– one of the extremely first laptop stores,  called ‘The Laptop Retailer.’ So I went there to see an Apple II in action. I fell in adore with it right away and purchased it with my personal income. (And by the way, you know what it value? 48 k of memory and two floppy disk drives and a 9″ monochrome check: I shelled out $ 2700.)


“With the Apple II I wrote a fairly sophisticated plan that analyzed a number of diagnostic tests using Bayes’ theorem for the diagnosis of coronary illness. Now I considered it was really fantastic and should be marketed, but it required to be expanded with people who actually knew some thing far more about programming than I did. So I picked up the phone and referred to as Apple in Cupertino. I informed the secretary that I desired to communicate with someone about a health care application for the Apple II computer. The secretary linked me directly to Steve Jobs. (Of program I did not know who he was. I didn’t even understand the title as currently being one of the individuals who had actually invented the issue.)


“He listened to me for a couple of minutes on the phone. I said I’d love to come up and speak with him about my notion. He explained certain, any time, just choose a date. and so I did, and I got on a flight to Cupertino. When I got to his workplace he looked exactly like he constantly looked in the future– he was sporting jeans, a black t-shirt, and sandals. His desk was definitely cluttered with all varieties of things on it, which includes, of course, an Apple II.


“I described to him what I had been doing, and how impressed I was with his gadget. Other men and women imagined it was a toy but I noticed anything significant in it and imagined that sooner or later a pc like this should be on the desk of every medical doctor in the globe. I informed him that I imagined my system could be a implies towards that finish, and I would adore to get his thoughts about it, and if he would he be ready to do anything to assist us advance that thought.


“He stated he was extremely impressed with what I had accomplished, and that he agreed about the potential for the long term, but ‘frankly I’m not interested in operating with you on this.’ I asked why. He explained: ‘You have to realize. This is some thing that nobody in the planet nevertheless understands. I cannot be distracted. I’m trying to make the very best hammer I can make, the ideal hammer in the world. You can use my hammer to tear one thing down, or you can use it to construct anything up. I genuinely really do not care what you do with my hammer. I just want to make the very best feasible hammer. And what you are undertaking is a superb bit of development, but to me it is a distraction.’


“So that was pretty much the finish of our conversation. There was no exactly where else to go after that so I thanked him extremely much for his time and flew back to LA.”



Steve Jobs Rejected The Initial Health care App In 1977

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder