30 Aralık 2013 Pazartesi

Cold reality: humans aren"t as resilient as Exmoor ponies | George Monbiot

Exmoor Pony foal

‘I believed of Exmoor ponies and the way they stand with their backs to the rain until it passes. If they could do it, so could I.’ Photograph: Alamy




It was a gorgeous morning, a Saturday in October, and I was obtaining tea with my subsequent-door neighbour. We started speaking – for this was almost 20 many years ago – about the street the government meant to create all around the town of Newbury, some thirty miles away. When the machinery moved in we planned to join the protests. Men and women had been presently starting up to create platforms in the trees. “Let us go down and consider a search.”


A train was due to depart in half an hour. We threw sleeping bags and warm outfits into our pannier bags, jumped on our bikes and sprinted to the station. We arrived just as the train was leaving. “Why do not we just cycle there?”


We had missed our breakfast and had no foods or water, but there have been bound to be stores or pubs along the way. We would maintain off the roads as considerably as attainable, following bridleways and footpaths.


At initial we sailed along, feeling buoyant and free of charge. It was one of those autumn days in which the sky appeared cleaner and brighter than at any time for the duration of the summer season. Then the paths started cutting across fields which had recently been ploughed, and our urban bikes grew to become snarled up with mud. A pregnant grey cloud blotted out the sun and hail started pelting down. This was the stage at which my pal discovered that his raincoat, which had been clipped to the prime of his bike rack, had fallen off. He went back to search for it. I made the decision to wait in the discipline.


The hail soon turned to rain. I was even now steamed up, so it felt refreshing as it soaked into my T-shirt. Soon after a while I began to come to feel a tiny cold. But – and this is the nail of idiocy on which the story hangs – I imagined of Exmoor ponies and the way they stand with their backs to the rain until it passes. If they could do it, so could I.


By the time my friend returned I was shivering. But I was reluctant to alter my outfits, as I knew we would quickly get sizzling again crossing the fields. The rain had ceased, but now our bikes slithered across the moist path. By the time we hit firmer ground I was extremely hungry. I was stunned to discover that I was nevertheless shivering.


We rode more than the downs to a village in which, we have been sure, there would be a shop. There wasn’t. The pub was shut. No matter, we would eat in Newbury. By the time we reached a prolonged slope major up to the Ridgeway – the neolithic path that traverses southern England – I had ceased to really feel both cold or hungry. Thoughts over matter, I informed myself I had triumphed more than discomfort.


But there was something incorrect with my bicycle. The wheels would not go round. I turned the bike in excess of and identified to my surprise that they spun freely. I started out pushing it up the hill, but once more it seemed to be snagged. My friend gallantly provided to swap. But there was anything incorrect with his bicycle as well. It felt absurdly hefty, and the wheels also seemed to be jammed.


We remounted when we reached the Ridgeway. Even on the level track I could scarcely force the pedals round. We reached the metalled street, and I sat like a pudding as we freewheeled down a shallow slope. Then I gradually toppled off the bike. I stumbled backwards into the hedge beside the road, where I lay spreadeagled.


“Are you all right?” “I’ve in no way felt far better. But I cannot truly move,” I stated. I felt as if I were lying in a warm bath. I could move my mouth and eyes but little else. I had never experienced this kind of deep peace.


“Um, I believe we need to get some help,” my good friend ventured. “No actually, I am fine.” My friend, who is not renowned for his assertiveness, stood by the street, half raising a hand to the passing site visitors: “Um, excuse me … Would you mind …” I watched with amusement as the cars whizzed previous. Then a big black point stopped and a blond giant stepped out. He was dressed in black, he had a crewcut and muscle tissue everywhere. He brushed past my pal and seized me by the shoulders.


“What is your name?” “George.” “What is your name?” “I just informed you – George.” “What is your title?!” Who was this rude guy, I wondered, and why could not he just depart me alone? He turned to my pal. “What have you got in your bags?” “Um, sleeping bags, coats.” “You happen to be carrying sleeping bags and he’s – fuck, I have witnessed it all now.”


He pulled out a sleeping bag, lifted me up as if I had been a cat and dropped me into it. “What’s your name?” “I just advised you.” “Shut up! What’s your identify?” He walked into the street, his great hands raised to the visitors. The first auto stopped. “Chocolate, sweets, what ever you’ve acquired.” Terrified, the girl in the car scrabbled in her bag, then handed him a bar of chocolate.


He returned to me. “This is very variety of you, but I am really all proper actually.” “Shut up! What is your title?” He started feeding me the chocolate. It was plainly safer to obey than to resist this madman, so I ate it. He named the ambulance. “Truly, there is no need to have …” He stopped far more autos, forcing them to disgorge a pile of sweets and chocolates. “I never have a lot of a sweet tooth to be honest…” “Shut up! What is your identify?”


The ambulance arrived. They wrapped me in a room blanket and took my temperature. They appeared to be creating a terrible fuss about practically nothing. The black vehicle drove away. They place the sirens on and stored making use of the thermometer: my temperature had fallen, I was later on told, to half a degree above the level at which they would have misplaced me.


In hospital the nurse told me I would need to have “the total treatment method”. “No. What?” “Sizzling chocolate and toast and honey.” Half an hour following I had arrived, I sat up and swung my legs off the bed: out of the blue fit and well and buzzing with sugar. It took me a number of hours to realise that the blond giant (we guessed he was an army paramedic) had saved my lifestyle.




Cold reality: humans aren"t as resilient as Exmoor ponies | George Monbiot

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder