28 Mart 2017 Salı

I have vulvodynia – but countless gynaecologists dismissed my agony | Anonymous

[unable to retrieve full-text content]

Statistics say that one in six women will contract this painful condition. So why did it take years and endless misdiagnoses before I was properly treated?

It was after a spate of kidney infections that I started experiencing intimate pain, including a burning and stinging sensation on the skin around my vulva whenever I attempted to sleep with my partner or insert a tampon. I was a student at the time and the first move of the campus GP was to test me for chlamydia. Although this came back negative, I was tested for the same infection a further three times over the following months. Then I was sent to a sexual health clinic, despite the fact I had one long-term partner and my situation had not changed. Assumptions were being made about me, I felt, because I was a student, and I was embarrassed that neither my GP nor the clinic staff would believe I was having safe sex.


Related: What are your experiences of getting help for gynaecological problems? | Sarah Marsh


Related: 10 things you need to know about vaginas


Continue reading…



I have vulvodynia – but countless gynaecologists dismissed my agony | Anonymous

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder