27 Şubat 2017 Pazartesi

I"m starting a new job, but will need to take time off soon for therapy

Twice a week we publish problems that will feature in a forthcoming Dear Jeremy advice column in the Saturday Guardian so that readers can offer their own advice and suggestions. We then print the best of your comments alongside Jeremy’s own insights.


I’m about to start a new job, my first with any prospect of security after several years of juggling part-time, short-term contracts, and I’m keen to make a good impression.


However, my previous work pattern and some of the stresses involved have taken their toll and I’ve been struggling with depression for a while. I have just been offered a few months of therapy on the NHS, starting in the next couple of weeks.


The catch is, to take this up I would need to take some time out of my working day. As a certain amount of my work is fairly independent of my colleagues’ input, making up the hours won’t be a problem. I’ve already worked out a few strategies to do this, depending on what would best fit with my new employer’s work pattern.


My worry is that I don’t know how to broach the subject – starting a new job by declaring any health issues is difficult enough, but I fear they may see those involving mental health as a stigma and this makes this worse.


How can I best approach this? I don’t feel I can let the opportunity for treatment go. I’ve done the sums and there’s just no way I can afford to get this privately, now or in the foreseeable future, but I also need this job.


Do you need advice on a work issue? For Jeremy’s and readers’ help, send a brief email to dear.jeremy@theguardian.com. Please note that he is unable to answer questions of a legal nature or to reply personally.



I"m starting a new job, but will need to take time off soon for therapy

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder