1 Ocak 2014 Çarşamba

Befriend the elderly and do yourself a favour, as well

They are gone now, and their stories with them – but how fortunate I come to feel to have heard them. So this year I’ll do as the care minister suggests but I’ll be contemplating of it far more as a pleasure than a duty.


• Meanwhile, that endearingly retro item, the university scarf, has been appearing in the Telegraph’s letters webpage in latest days and once again, these days. Why, wondered Geoffrey Wyborn of Walton-on-Thames, do younger individuals no longer put on them?


Excellent question, Geoffrey. Warm, sensible and tribal – what’s not to like about a college scarf? But style has its reasons, of which explanation is aware of practically nothing. In my university days in the late Seventies, it was social death to be witnessed wearing your personal university scarf, whereas 1 belonging to a boyfriend was an fully diverse matter – chic, enviable and hauntingly most likely to be reclaimed by its owner at any second.


An unscientific survey of the youthful (that is, I Facebooked my son) finds that he’s distinctly unkeen on the thought of a school scarf, but mysteriously connected to his claret and blue West Ham one. “But does not that identify you as, um, a complete loser?” I wondered. I’d much better not reproduce his response right here. The West Ham followers between you can think about it for yourselves.


When it comes to dress, the line between amazing and hopelessly nerdy is each implacable and ever-shifting. It was beautifully demonstrated by yesterday’s Telegraph design page, on which culottes and desert boots – the two objects of ridicule inside of living memory – were trailed as 2014’s subsequent massive fashion issues, along with Seventies style – which is, I suppose, good news for me, as it was the era in which my sartorial tastes were formed.


As it transpires, I’ve already been contemplating about my very own look in 2014. I strategy to base it about a mixture of my favourite Christmas presents: a sweatshirt with an obscure anarchist slogan, and a set of knitted earmuffs in the shape of foxes’ heads. You could laugh now, but just you wait. By this time subsequent yr, you’ll all be sporting them.



Befriend the elderly and do yourself a favour, as well

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder