13 Ağustos 2014 Çarşamba

Astronaut Mark Kelly On Gun Violence, Wife Gabby Giffords

Next Following week (Aug. twenty) it will be 28 years considering that postman Patrick Sherrill opened fire in an Edmond, Okay, submit workplace, killing 14 and wounding 6 prior to committing suicide. The event is observed as the origin of the pop-culture phrase “going postal.”


Have we created progress with gun violence in the U.S. given that that tragedy? You tell me. There have been massacres at Columbine (1999), Virginia Tech (2007), Newtown and Aurora (2012) – the list would seem limitless.


I had a possibility to chat with Mark Kelly, 50, an astronaut as renowned for his journeys to the International Room Station as for currently being married to former Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Giffords was shot in the head at a 2011 Tucson political rally and has been recovering ever because.


JC: Gun violence in the U.S. – what are your views?


MK: The gun lobby more than the final 30 years has developed enormous influence in Washington. My wife and I soon after the Newtown shootings determined to form Americans for Responsible Remedies as an powerful counterbalance. We want an surroundings where elected officials can make decisions on policy and not be concerned so significantly about politics. Hopefully in excess of time we can get away from a place the place we have 15 to 20 occasions the death charge from guns than any industrialized country. The debate is not about the Constitution. Nobody needs to consider anybody’s second amendment rights away. I often wonder if by not acting to supply a resolution that perhaps we’re placing people’s rights in jeopardy. Considering that that horrific Newtown event happened, the nationwide response has been practically nothing. We’re going to change that.


Astronaut Mark Kelly with his daughter. (Photo: Jim Clash)

Astronaut Mark Kelly with his daughter. (Photo: Jim Clash)



JC: So you do assistance the Second Amendment.


MK: Definitely. I’m a gun proprietor, my wife’s a gun owner. Gabby has a Glock 9 mm – I have Ruger 9 mm, a Ruger .22, a thirty.06 rifle and a .45.


JC: How is Gabby carrying out?


MK: Excellent. When it first occurred you would see progress hour-to-hour, then day-to-day, then week-to-week. It slows – now it is more month-to-month. Gabby performs hard and continues to improve. We had been chosen as Glamour Magazine’s first “Couple of the 12 months.” She gave a very good speech. Some individuals get up there with notes – she had some, but did not really look at them.


JC: In 2003 when Shuttle Columbia broke up above Texas, you visited the accident site.


MK: I was the very first particular person on the scene. I was in the workplace early and when my boss acquired in I said, ‘We have a good deal of contingency programs on what to do upon dropping a Shuttle, but nowhere did we anticipate dropping one within a two-hour drive of Houston.’ I informed him I feel we need to send a person there now, and he stated ‘Ok, you go.’ I asked the neighborhood constable to get a helicopter ready, and myself and one more man flew up. It didn’t get long just before we recovered the initial remains of crew members. I recovered 3 – two the day of the accident, and 1 the next day.


JC: In 2011 you had the challenging determination about whether or not to fly aboard the Shuttle for a fourth time.


MK: We had just had this horrific occasion occur to Gabby, and I’m going to fly in area? It was a hard choice. At the time I couldn’t even communicate effectively with Gabby. But she’s a huge supporter of the space plan and my little ones are massive supporters of my occupation. In the end it wasn’t only about me, but the other crew members. We all felt it was in the mission’s greatest curiosity for me to go back and do that flight.



Astronaut Mark Kelly On Gun Violence, Wife Gabby Giffords

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder