28 Mart 2014 Cuma

L"Wren Scott: There"s often a cause to decide on daily life


The region of New York the place we’re residing for a few months is named Chelsea and (like London’s Chelsea) it is close to the river, crammed with warehouses and attracts artists. Also (like London’s Hoxton), it will quickly be far also ritzy to property anybody but millionaire gallery owners. There’s a lot of good architecture in the neighbourhood with some really desirable residential buildings going up. Almost daily, I stroll the dogs down West 24th Street towards 11th Avenue, exactly where their puppy-run is on a (quite roomy) targeted traffic island. I’ve been lusting right after a single developing in certain.




It is 1 of individuals terrifically luxe, higher-spec, new-construct blocks that you can drive up and turn into, right off the street. Obtaining opened your garage door remotely, you cruise into… the elevator, which whisks the car (with you even now sitting behind the wheel) up to your floor. Whereupon you exit the motor vehicle and walk straight into your apartment. Tah-dah! Only in America.




Nicely, that is what I’m told I haven’t actually been in the auto-lift myself – not even as a passenger. Me, I’m just walking the dogs. All the windows are vast the residents should have a fine view of the dog park, the expressway and the Hudson, speckled with ferries and cruise boats crossing more than to New Jersey. I hadn’t realised this was the place L’Wren Scott lived until I saw some of New York’s best standing in front of the building. Only two of them. We’re advised Nicole Kidman has 1 of the apartments for when she’s in New York.




The whole of the coverage is saddening. Mick Jagger’s shot-at, crumpled encounter – possibly the oldest rocker even now rocking the Hollywood Forever Cemetery, exactly where she was cremated on Wednesday – “one of the oldest in Los Angeles, with memorials to silver display stars this kind of as Rudolph Valentino…” And so on.




At my innovative age, of program, I know a honest number of people who killed themselves, as properly as men and women who experimented with and failed, like guys I grew up with and girls I’ve worked with. Also my mom, when I was a student but living at residence. I was 21 I believed she had a proper to decide on to end her frankly depressing daily life, if that is what she wished. My then-boyfriend had to dissuade me from disconnecting the phone as he dialled 999 for an ambulance. At some point he gave me a smack on the mouth so tough I slid down the wall. My mother went on to live yet another 30 many years – largely with me – and she appeared to get an terrible lot of joy in bringing up her grandchildren.




Was that adequate to deny her the “right to choose”? Go figure, as I’m understanding to say. Undoubtedly, some men and women just will commit suicide. You can dissuade them, you can restrain them, you can place safety barriers about San Francisco’s Golden Gate Bridge (to the rage of people who believe in freedom of believed and will – not to mention in the Golden Gate’s unspoiled attractiveness). But, in the finish, they will do it. And in the end, you just have to sigh.


The New York Publish sent reporters to Barneys on Madison Avenue, where “Scott’s garments were flying off the shelves the day right after her suicide, a saleswoman said”. The snatching up of her garments as mementoes is not anything I’d ever do but I condemn it only gently simply because I realize the impulse.


On Thursday, the Post published her will – merciful heaven, can the bad girl be offered no shred of dignity? – and this was the first time given that she died that I have not felt sad on her behalf. Livid with anger, rather. Because she need to have recognized, lucidly, what impact her bequests would have on a) men and women she loved, b) folks who had been close to her who she did not adore, and c) any individual who reads newspapers.


And angry because suicide is often incorrect (unless you’re 80 and in agony) and selecting daily life is always correct. My mother pretty much begged for release in the late stages of lung cancer. But she’d had her thirty years soon after I slid down the wall.




L"Wren Scott: There"s often a cause to decide on daily life

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder